Meet the family

This is the official blog for TAGCstudios, which can be found at youtube.com/user/theagcollector101

Wednesday, July 8, 2020

How to Restore American Girl Lindsey's Boots

I got Lindsey Bergman as my third doll for my birthday in 2013. She came with most of her meet outfit, which includes a pair of red faux suede boots. These boots were a nightmare, because the deep red flocking flaked everywhere. I didn't use them for the longest time. They left red flakes everywhere, as if paprika had leaked out of them and onto everything they touched. However, I finally came up with a restoration method! 

*Side Note, I have no clue what Lindsey's shoes are actually made out of. It's obviously a synthetic material, but whether it's suede or pleather I have no idea.*

Step 1: Remove the suede
Using your fingers, rub off all of the old dark red flocking from the shoes. All of it. I used my fingers for most and then I used a toothpick for the tiny pieces under the strap. Be sure to get as much of the red flaking off as possible. Inside the shoes are also seam allowances that will continue to flake, so be scrupulous. 
The left boot is peeling, before I removed the suede. The right boot is step one completed and all the suede/flocking removed.

Step 2: Paint the suede
Once all the dark red flaking is rubbed off, get some dark red paint and paint all the red parts of the shoes. I used Anita's all purpose Acrylic paint from Hobby Lobby in Dark Red. Linsdey's Meet boots are technically a bit darker than that shade, but I was happy with that color so I decided to use it. Paint the boots and let them dry. 

I didn't take a photo of the shoes before I put the mod podge over the paint, so onto step 2.

Step 3: Mod Podge
Use Mod Podge inside and out to seal the boots and make sure they don't flake anymore. I used a paintbrush to apply the podge in a thin layer on the outside and inside of the boot, and I used my fingers to get the podge all into the toe of the boot. Then, let it dry.
Here are the shoes completely painted and mod podged. As you can see, they don't need socks! The red color is sooo pretty on camera and IRL.

And you're done! Linsdey's meet boots are still red and now you can use them without the red flakes going onto everything else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment