Meet the family

This is the official blog for TAGCstudios, which can be found at youtube.com/user/theagcollector101

Sunday, September 20, 2020

Tips and Tricks for Sewing Amazing 18" doll Clothes

 I have been sewing clothing for my American Girl Dolls for about 8 or 9 years. My American Girl Dolls are actually what got me into learning how to sew and one of the first things I made on a sewing machine was a pair of pants for my dolls. From there, I've gained many skills and I now create lots of historical garments, which I post after their creation on reddit.com/r/americangirl. From my experience, I have gained valuable experience on what makes good doll clothing, and I would like to give some tips and tricks to anyone sewing for 18" dolls, whether you are a beginner sewer or a grandmother looking to make something for your grandchild, or a collector who wants to explore fashion history, here are some tips on making doll clothes that you'll love for a very long time.

1. The first thing one should know about sewing for 18" dolls is that patterns are scaled very differently on them than on humans. Polka dots are the best example of this. Some polka dot patterns include super large polka dots, and if those super large polka dots are used to make something very small, the result can look really strange. On the other hand, sometimes a pattern may look regularly or even smaller sized on something scaled to humans, but it can be used creatively on dolls. Observe:

This plaid happens to be a great scale for this jumper.

The scale on trims should also be taken into account. The design on this trim is very small so it works well with 18" dolls, but anything larger may look strange.

The dress on the left is an example of how an oversized pattern can be creatively used in a piece of doll clothing. If I had made a different type of dress that was not a large, elaborate ballgown, it may have looked strange because of how huge the flowers are compared to the doll. 

Pattern scale can be used in creative ways, and ultimately you have the power over your own creations. However, being aware of scale allows you to be creative and makes your doll clothing look much better. Larger scale patterns can still be used to create items for dolls like pillows, mattresses and more, just like scale is used in the human world.

2. The MOST important thing you should do when sewing amazing 18" doll clothes is to sew put effort and quality into your work. Even on the simplest projects, if you do not put in much effort you will not get fantastic results. This means clipping curves and corners, ironing when possible, making a strong effort to have all of your stitching lines and hems as straight as possible, and taking your time when you are making something. 

This dress looks okay in this photo, but in the back nothing matches up and you can see the white velcro stick out from the side of the dress. I was so excited to make this that I didn't take the time necessary to make this dress something I would want to put on my dolls frequently. As a result, it doesn't get much use. This was made in 2017.


Here is something I made recently in 2020, I consider this outfit to be 95% perfect, meaning that the only obvious flaws are only noticeable by me or any other professional seamstress. I LOVE this outfit, and I kept it on my doll all the way until I made another ensemble to dress her in. 

You will know when you've put in enough effort to something when you want to keep it on your doll, or keep using whatever you've made for your doll. Putting in effort to something is so much more valuable than making something crazy. Even if you're only making a doll pillow or a simple blanket, you should put as much effort as possible into those projects because they will be things you are proud of and continue to use, instead of things that get tossed aside once they're not on or being played with anymore. Of course, you won't begin by making perfect things, you will begin by making things that are okay, but for as much as it is necessary to strive for perfection and effort in your work, it is also okay to make something bad and put it in the scrap bin for later. Still, even in the beginning, straight lines and effort alone can make a project incredible when nothing else does.


3. I sew exclusively for American Girl Dolls. However, there are many brands of 18" dolls and each brand is slightly different in their body sizes. American Girl and Pleasant Company have both produced patterns that I have sewn with, however, it is important to make mock-ups and measure carefully if you are using any patterns other than those that were produced by your doll's manufacturer. For American Girl Dolls, this means making a mock-up and noting any fit differences if you are using something besides patterns from Pleasant Company or Mattel. My grandmother once made me a set of Doll pajamas. The bottoms fit perfectly, but the top was way too tight and too small because my grandmother was using an off-brand pattern and she didn't have a doll to try the garment on as she made it. Speaking of trying things on, try them on! Just like with creating human clothing, when making doll clothing be sure to try things on before sewing important seams, you might just save yourself from a grave mistake. When you are using patterns from the doll's manufacturer, this may not be as necessary, but depending on what garment you are making and what fabric you are using, the fit could at any moment be compromised. Especially, though, if you are using an off-brand pattern, or a free pattern on the internet, make sure it fits! If you're a grandmother or other family member sewing for a child in your life, try to work on the project while they are visiting and have them bring their doll as much as possible. You could even consider finding a TLC doll (Tender Loving Care, or dolls that need their hair or body fixed or cleaned in some way) to fit clothing on, but this can be a more expensive solution. 

I made this item without a pattern, but it still fits very poorly.





This item fits very well because I tried it on as I was making it and I used a Pleasant Company pattern (pleasant company Addy's School Blouse). 

Of course, have fun! Making your own doll clothes can be an awesome experience, you got new clothes for free (technically) and you have infinite possibilities on how it looks! Making your own doll clothes can also lead you into studying fashion history or being able to re-create the latest met gala looks as is on trend right now. 
If you would like to see more of my personal creations, watch reddit.com/r/americangirl 

No comments:

Post a Comment